Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL FORMULA WON'T COPY TO ANOTHER CELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

binglelmh

Technical User
Dec 27, 2004
US
This must be very simple but I've never had it happen before. I have a fairly simple formula that I copy to new lines inserted in a spreadsheet that works perfectly for all the current rows, but when I just added a row, it won't work. I just tried to copy/ paste special/ formula only/ to a new row and the formula shows up in the cell but it won't calculate.

it is: =ROUND(J12*(1+L12),2)*H12
J12 is a value = 80 (cell format is TEXT)
L12 is a value = %, but on the row I'm talking about , it is blank (no %)(cell format is PERCENTAGE)
H12 is A VALUE = $29.00 (cell format is CURRENCY)

It is for payroll purposes and it is supposed to calculate a # of hours worked times a payrate . If there is a % of premium pay, it calcultes that in as well .

I have checked the formats of the cells and they match the formats of the cells in the rows that work ok.

What on earth is happening...I fell like I'm cursed.????

>it won't calculate

What does it do? Is it giving you an error of some kind? Is it displaying the actual formula in the cell?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Is it possible your excel is not auto-updating the cells and you have to manually push F9 first to get a result?

Also, you wrote that "J12 is a value = 80 (cell format is TEXT)", so is it possible that for excel you try to round not a number but a text field, hence spitting out an error?

dune2,

I read right over that "format is text" bit. Good catch.

But that wouldn't prevent the formula from working.

That's because before evaluating the ROUND function, the Text-formatted 80 is multiplied by (1+L12).

Multiplying a text-formatted number by any actual number will convert the text-formatted number to a - er - number.

Clear as mud? Let me try again:

[tt]Dog * 1[/tt] returns an error.
[tt]'02 * 1[/tt] returns 2.

(the ' before a number, when entered into a cell, will cause whatever follows to be considered text)

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Thanks to everybody who responded. ANOTHERHIGGINS - after I paste the formula in, and enter, the cell reads $0.00. As if there are no values in the cells that the formula targets.

It gets wierder....I just copied the whole spreadsheet to a blank worksheet so I could try out the F9 function mentioned by DUNE2 which unfortunately didn't work. When I copied and pasted the formula into the row this time, IT WORKED!!! (I literally copied the whole darn spreadsheet to a blank worksheet, then copied the formula from one of the rows above the new problem row,<working strictly inside the new worksheet> pasted it into the problem row and the darn thing calculated the value perfectly)

Please don't give up on me...this is making me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back