Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - formula showing instead of value

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlhart76

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
US
Using Excel 2003
Usually when you put in a formula, the value result shows up on screen. I have a workbook with multiple worksheets & a lot of formulas. I'm trying to insert new formulas to show values from other sheets on one sheet. Ex: on Sheet1 cell A1 the formula is "=Sheet2!A1", cell A2 formula is "=Sheet3!A1" etc. Instead of the value of Sheet2!A1, the formula is displayed. All other formulas are working properly, it's just when I try to add new formulas. Any suggestions? Already tried formatting cell to General, calculate now, switching from show formula to show value, etc.

Tools, Options, View, Uncheck Formulas

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Thanks, already tried that. Anything else?

Also, have you tried, Edit, Clear, Format?

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Your cell(s) is/was formatted as text, and the formula needs to be re-entered. You can do this just by hitting F2 and then Enter.

The fact that other formuals work fine means its not that going to be view/formulas, and there are only two other possibilities usually, the first being that the cell is formatted as text when you entered it, or that the formula itself was entered as text (perhaps without an = sign for example).

In your case it is very likely it was the first option, but just changing the formatting once this has happened is not enough. You need to re-enter the formulas.

Regards
Ken............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back