Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel formula help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdbsti

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hi all,

I've been struggling to make a formula work which I will export the results to another application. The formatting needs to remain for the other app so any help would be appreciated.

I have a 13 charachter string that requires an addition of 1 to the first sequence of numbers and 5 to the second set. The sequence starts with 2 letters and has 4 numbers. There is a period spacer between the 2 sequences:

I have:
KK1000.KK1004

I want the next steps in the sequence to be:
KK1005.KK1009
KK1010.KK1014 etc.

So far I have:
KK1000.KK1004
=LEFT(A1,9)&VALUE(RIGHT(A1,4))+5

but obviously this only steps the second set of numbers.

Can this be done in excel or is there a better app to use?

T.I.A.

=MID(A1,8,2) & VALUE(RIGHT(A1,4))+1 & MID(A1,7,3) & VALUE(RIGHT(A1,4))+5

should do the job for you but this is hardly an excel question is it? As you obviously know which kind of functions to use, it is just a case of figuring out the logic...

Rgds, Geoff

"Errors have been made....Others will be blamed"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Thanks Geoff,

I apologize if this question is in the wrong forum.
I am totally a novice and have spent hours trying to make this work.
I really appreciate your help!

Cheers!
Bruce

It is the right forum - my point was that you know (or seemed to know) the formulae to use. If this was not the case then my apologies - you were nearly there...that's what prompted the comment

Anyways - glad I could help

Rgds, Geoff

Hey Geoff,

I understand what you're saying. Absolutely no offence taken. I did try for quite some time to work this problem out myself (it's my nature to!), but I obvioulsy need to learn more about excel.

Thanks Again!
Br

OMG - sorry PHV - yes - the MSOffice forum (where I thought I was) would be more appropriate

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back