Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Formatting & Formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkuethe

Technical User
Jul 19, 2001
US
Two questions...

1.) What formula would I use if I'm given - start time of 9:30, finish time of 10:00 and 500 pieces printed - if I need to figure the time taken to print each piece (# of pieces/hour)?

2.) Is there a way to setup time cells so that I do not have to type the colon everytime?

I'm in an extreme rush!!!!

One way is to change from hh:mm format to number format and work out the formula.
The easiest way to change the hh:mm format to number is to change the cell format to number and multiply by 24.
So assuming your time is in cell A1, format A2 as number and paste the formula =a1*24 in A2. This will give you the decimal form
Then work out a formula =nbpages /(end time-begin time)

For your second question there is no immediate answer.
You couls input the hours in one cell, minutes in the next, and in the third, = concatenate( cell1,":", cell2)

Hi!

Put your data in columns as follows:

Start Stop Quantity Copies/Hr

Format the Start and Stop columns as Time, and the Quantity and Copies/Hr columns as Number. In the Copies/Hr column, use the formula:

=C2/(MINUTE(B2-A2)/60)

As far as not typing a colon, I'm not aware of an easy solution, but it only takes moments to type, anyway.

Good luck!

VBAjedi [swords}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back