Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel format 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

methoni

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
In a workbook, I have 3 sheets. In sheet 1 cell a5 is a blank cell. In sheet 2 cell a5 references cell a5 from sheet 1 (=sheet1!a5). This results in "0". In sheet 3 the same formula in cell a5 (=sheet1!a5) results in a blank cell.
Why the differences? I would like them to be blanks. any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi methoni,

One possibility is that on the one sheet that shows blank, it's because that sheet has had the following setting made...

1) From the menu, use Tools - Options

2) Select the "View" tab

3) In the centre-bottom of the window, un-check "Zero values".

If this is the case, and I suspect it is, then of course all you'll need to do, is do the same for the other sheet.

I hope this was the right answer. :)

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Thank you Dale,
That was indeed the problem. I was unaware that each worksheet has its own settings.

Thanks again

Brilliant, Dale! I had no idea that each worksheet had its own settings in this regard.

Sorry that I can't give you a star, as I still have not been able to correct my interface problem.

Methoni: If you are still monitoring this thread, I believe Dale deserves a star; What do you think?

Best Regards,

-Bob in California

i am trying to convert an isbn ie 1-4886-5310-x to
a number or text which does not have the hyphens
ie 148865310x, i tried using format cells, custom and then
0000000000 ( 10 zeros) but this does nothing does anyone know a simple answer????

Good Morning Bindi,

I have created a formula using text-handling functions for you:

=LEFT(C3,1)&MID(C3,3,4)&MID(C3,8,4)&RIGHT(C3,1)

Give it a try, and please let me know if this works for you.

Take care,

-Bob in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back