Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Forecast Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

vyper78

Programmer
Feb 5, 2004
AU
Hi

I've got two sets of data that I'm attempting to run some statistical analysis on. Col A contains different capacities of truck and Col B contains the rates at which they were loaded. I'm attempting to group the capacities into groups of 4, i.e: 0-1 tonne, 1-2 tonne, etc, and getting an avg for each group. IE: If a truck is 0.7t, it should take approx X hours to load.
I started grouping and getting an average for each group and then decided that this was no good as some of the data included some outliers.
I then decided to use the Forecast function but read that the formula assumes a linear relationship between the two sets of data, however I've worked out (via correlation) that there is _no_ linear relationship between the data.
Is there anyone out there that can guid me in what I'm trying to do ...
Hope this is in the right forum.

V.

Hi vyper78,

To find the average of a range in B1:B100 of a set of data for which the criteria are in A1:A100, you could use an array formula like:
=AVERAGE(IF((A$1:A$100<=1),B$1:B$100,))
or
=AVERAGE(IF((A$1:A$100>1)*(A$1:A$100<=2),B$1:B$100,))
In the latter case, the formula would return the average from column B of the values for which the corresponding values are greater than 1 and less than or equal to 2.

If you want to test the variability of the data, change 'AVERAGE' to 'STDEV'.

Cheers
PS: Array formulae are created with Ctrl-Shift_Enter

It sounds as though have done something similar to this.
not being a Mathematician, I cheated by doing this.

1st

I created a chart based on the x and y data...

Then added a polynomial trend (level 6 in my case because the data would normaly produce a curve of varying, but distinct parabola.)...being sure to select the option to show the equation on the chart.

then...

I run a macro to lift and disect the formula text from the chart and pop it into cell E20 as a real formula...

Sub GetEqua()
Dim Equa As String, EquaNew As String, LocEqual As Integer
Dim EqLen As Integer

ActiveSheet.DrawingObjects("Chart 1").Select
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
Equa = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Trendlines(1).DataLabel.Text
EqLen = Len(Equa)
EquaNew = ""
For X = 1 To EqLen
If Mid(Equa, X, 1) = "=" Then LocEqual = X
Next X
For X = LocEqual To EqLen

If Mid(Equa, X, 1) = "x" Then
EquaNew = EquaNew & "*E21^"
If Mid(Equa, X + 1, 1) = " " Then EquaNew = EquaNew & "1"
GoTo jump1
End If
EquaNew = EquaNew & Mid(Equa, X, 1)
jump1:
Next X
ActiveSheet.Range("E20").Formula = EquaNew' formula to resolve the value of the Y axis
Range("E21").Select 'type a value for X and cell"E20" to return the y value along the curve

End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back