Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel file converted to mht type

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdlaugh1

Technical User
Jan 17, 2006
US
We have a user who has a handfull of Excel files that now have an ext of MHT. i.e. filename = myfile.xls.mht.

What could cause the file to become named "mht"? (Excluding intentially saving it as type mht). Uses Excel 2003.

She was working with the file just last week and it was in type XLS. This user would not know how to save it as a MHT type and would have no reason to do so. In looking at her list of files, she has a few others of this type.

I need to see if she is doing something to cause this, or if a setting on her PC is causing it. It's not happening with every file however. And we renamed the file to remove the mht, opened it in Excel and saved it again and it retained the correct XLS extension.

thank you!!

Perhaps this will be of help:

Perhaps she viewed the file in Internet Explorer (or whatever browser she uses) and saved it from there?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Hi John,
Thanks for the link... It is possible that she did that. However I tried to test that process, and my file still retained the .doc (it was a Word doc I tried with.)

did you try this? What steps did you take? I simply had an IE browser open, then in the url address line I typed "C" and it listed numerous documents and files in my My Documents folder. I opened one of them made a change and saved the document. It did not change the ext to <filename>.doc.mht.

thanks!
molly

Did the user somehow manage to change the default Save As type to a Web Archive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back