Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel file cannot open by clicking on file from windows explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourheadns

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
This is a weird thing that happens in Excel XP. If I open Excel program first, then navigate to the excel file, it opens. If I open the file from windows explorer by double clicking the file, it doesn't open. I know what you're probably thinking....it's not associated to the excel program, but when I go to the file properties, I see that it is indeed associated with the excel program. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Nip

I have seen this before with Access97, usually if the path and/or file name contained a space in it. Removing the space cured the problem.

Larry

I had this problem as well. Mine was related more to computer maintenance. You need to make sure you have cleaned out your temporary internet files, your cookies, and all files on your c drive that end in .tmp, and .dmp.

Run your defrag.

Then check your system properties/performance/virtual memory/ and make sure you have enough memory allocated for your page file and registry.

Then shutdown and restart.

This cured my problem.

Try going to Tools > Options > General tab then untick 'ignore other applications.' This works in Excel 97 so the option may be slightly different in XP.

John

You get any messages when you double-click on the file? Or does nothing happen at all? What operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back