Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel.exe Memory could not be read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2002
US
I have a Windows 2000 system with Office 2000. There are 3 user profiles on the PC. Each has Administrator authority. The main user has an Excel spreadsheet that will load part way, then give the dreaded "The instruction at xxxxxxx referenced memory at xx xxxxxxxx. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate or cancel to debug."
If I log as another user I get the same thing. However, if I log on as myself, I have no problem with the spreadsheet.
Windows 2000 is current. (In fact, the user believes that the last update broke Excel) I ran the Office Repair to no avail. I'm stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Try,
1/ Save the file under a different name and try opening it from a different users profile

OR

2/Create a new file and copy all the data into it and save it.

I will give this a try. However, I can open the spreadsheet NOW with a different user profile on the same PC. Other users on other PCs can open it just fine as well. It appears to me to be a problem with this user's profile (and one other one on the PC.
I may have to create a new user profile for this person, though that opens a whole can of issues, so I wanted to avoid it if possible.

What you can do is rename their profile. Shut down and restart, log on as normal and system will re-create the profile. If it works, you can copy favorites and custom templates to the new profile.

Deja Moo - "I have heard that bull before"

Well, here is the conclusion of the Excel memory error story. I still don't understand it, but I will take success when I can get it.
In Excel with the original spreadsheet open, I selected all three sheets in the workbook by Ctrl-clicking. I then went to Edit, Move or Copy Sheet. In the To book: field, I chose (new book), checked Create a copy and clicked okay. I saved the spreadsheet under a new name. Strangely, it was a little over half the size of the original. But, everything seems to work and everyone can open it now.

I have had similar experience. I've narrowed it down to this line of code (in my case)

objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs ......

It is not exclusive to any user thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back