Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: display a symbol based on formula result 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

klmack

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
US
Hi, there's a Logo Mascot quiz making the email rounds that was slickly designed in Excel, and our boss challeged us to figure out how the author did it. The spreadsheet matches a typed entry to 5 columns of answers (five to cover all the possible spelling variations), if it is right it puts a black check symbol, wrong, a red x.

I checked conditional formatting, only the red font color condition 1 is there. There are no macros, looked at the VBA code and did not see anything. The cell is not a check box. I can't figure out how the author got the symbols to appear! I looked for hidden columns and rows. Any ideas?

The formula that matches the answers is below, maybe there is something about the P and O at the end that does it??

--------------------------
=IF(ISBLANK(N4),"",IF(OR(N4=INDEX(Answers,MATCH(M4,Ans!$A$2:$A$52,0),MATCH("Ans1",Ans!$A$2:$F$2,0)),N4=INDEX(Answers,MATCH(M4,Ans!$A$2:$A$52,0),MATCH("Ans2",Ans!$A$2:$F$2,0)),N4=INDEX(Answers,MATCH(M4,Ans!$A$2:$A$52,0),MATCH("Ans3",Ans!$A$2:$F$2,0)),N4=INDEX(Answers,MATCH(M4,Ans!$A$2:$A$52,0),MATCH("Ans4",Ans!$A$2:$F$2,0)),N4=INDEX(Answers,MATCH(M4,Ans!$A$2:$A$52,0),MATCH("Ans5",Ans!$A$2:$F$2,0)))=TRUE,"P","O"))

Here's my bet: conditional formatting on the cell to turn it Red (Format>Conditional Formatting) if the value is O, and black if the value is P. Furthermore, I bet the font is formatted to Wingdings or Webdings which display characters instead of letters.

Tom

Born once die twice; born twice die once.

The cell is formated as Wingdings 2

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Thanks, I didn't think to check the special font, it is Wingdings2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back