Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel database number fields being brought into crystal as strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwaegener

Technical User
Mar 1, 2013
US
i am using several excel spreadsheets as databases for my crystal reports - i am having trouble with the number formatted fields in the databases coming into crystal as string formatted fields. the result is a null value for that field - i have tried changing the format of the excel field but i am having no luck getting the field to become a number formatted field in the crytal report. help !!!!!

Crystal looks at the first record and determines datatype, thus as you will inevitably have a column header which then crystal will see a string.

YOu will need a formula to case the string numbers back to number, crystal function tonumber() will do that.

Look in help to set arguments default is comma thousand separator and 2 decimal places

tonumber(123456, 0,"") will return 123456

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back