Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - Count If Function (Counting Occurences)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deintinis

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2001
US
I have a 5,000+ line spreadsheet in Excel. I am trying to count the sum of occurences of each Department in the Department column. I am able to sue the Countif function, but was wondering if there was an easier way to do this. I have 50+ Departments that I need to count the occurence of. Do I have to do a seperate Countif function for each department?

You could sort it be department and then use Data-Subtotals to find a count.

Use the SUBTOTAL funstion, or the Subtotal wizard under tools.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

sorry, wizard under data menu.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Hi,

try creating a pivot table - your subtotals will all appear together.

Henio

I don't think the subtotal function is what I want for this paticular spreadsheet. It has a few rows of column headings and I get errors when trying to subtotal.

I would like to do the pivot table, but am stuck. I created a pivot table in a new worksheet and used the Department column as my range of cells. I now have my list of departements in the pivot table, but how to I count the # of occurences in which these departements appear on the spreadsheet?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Hi,

put the department in the row and data areas. In the data area set the function to COUNT of departments.

hth

Henio

Ok, I made a pivot report with the selected range of just the department column. That pulled out all of the department names into a new worksheet. I than created another column along side the pivot table. In that column I wrote a countif formula referencing the Departement column and the departement name. I then autofilled the forumla down and everything seems to be right!
This is probably a strange way of going about this, but it worked so I am going with it.
THanks for your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back