Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel, copy names with a table? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmr064

Technical User
Jun 6, 2003
US
I would like to copy series of tables along with any Named Cells within those tables to another spreadsheet. The destination SS already exists and includes some complex, protected imbeded macros.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Tom

Tom,

Use Data/External Data - Excel files and using MS Query you can query each table (sheet) & return the results to your new workbook. Pretty simple!

OR...

what's wrong with copying the values on each sheet and pasting them (Cut 'n' Paste) into your new workbook???

What am I missing?

:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Skip, the table, or more properly, a formatted report, contains more than 150 vendors to be paid monthly. Each vendor payee cell is "named" so that I can jump to that part of the report using the "name box" at the left on the formula bar. The "payee" cells are separated by other rows with data. Can I hide those rows and then select the "payee" cells as a group and then define names?

I "copy&paste"ed the table/report but the names didn't tag along.

Thanks for your advice!

Tom

The only way to get the NAMES to tag along is to Copy the Sheet Tab rather than the data on the sheet. However, if you have cells with more than 255 characters, they will be truncated.

You're right; its NOT a table.

What's your objective?

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Another Option might be to take a copy of the workbook with the names, and then merge the destination file in with it, macros and all. That might be a lot easier than screwing about with names.

Regards
Ken..............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skip, The copy-sheet process worked perfectly, and saved lots of key pounding.

What I have is the typical old kludgy SS that started with a voucher/report that was used to pay rents every month. Subsequently, it needed to extract some of the same info to generate text type flat file to upload and update a main frame general ledger application. The accounts payable process was changed to Oracle, so they got an interface that works in Excel frontend the AP data entry keying. Is there a free Excel-based data table and payables voucher report out there?

Ken, I did some searching of the Excel help file for the "merge" process that you mentioned, but I guess my intuition doesn't match the MS intuitiveness, because I came up empty. Could you provide more focus for me?

Sorry that I took so long getting back. We're in the middle of a budget reforecast crunch.

Thanks to you both.

Tom

Check out faq68-4223 Mail Merge in Excel.

Explain what needs to happen.

Skip,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back