Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Conditional Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgettge

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2002
US
I am using an Excel file with conditional formatting, I would like to be able to use a 4th condition. Is there a way?

You could say that the 4[sup]th[/sup] condition is the beginning condition, but you're really stuck with 3 using native worksheet functionality.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] Dyslexic poets...
write inverse! [tongue][/sub]

The format I used was a simple bold, is there a way to copy everything into another sheet, keep the bold format and lose the conditional formatting so that I can then do the 4th?

I will only be changing the values one time, so once they are identified by the conditional format, they can stay in bold permanently.

Are there five conditions in total, or four? If there are only four, you can use the format the cells (not using conditional formatting) a fourth way. This is what Skip meant by ,"You could say that the 4th condition is the beginning condition...".

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

I'm not sure what you mean.

If you start with something like a bold font format, then you can CF on top of that to get 3 additional formats.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] Dyslexic poets...
write inverse! [tongue][/sub]

I have a grid that I am using which is laid out in the following way:

Store# - Bud - Coors - Miller
111 - A - B - C
112 - D - B - X
113 - A - R - G

I currently have 13 categories and the location within the store. I need to add 4 more. If the new category replaces an old one, I need to quickly identify it as a category to be removed, which is why I chose bold. I did the conditional format to make bold the location of the old category if it matched a new category's location. It is perfect if I only had 3 new categories, but I have a 4th.

Perhaps you can add a temporary column with an If statement to determine if any of the old categories match the new one. The If statement can be structured to return all the old categories combined as text. Then your conditional format will bold the current cell if it's category is within the IF statements string.

I hope this made sense to you.

It sounds to me like all three of your conditions yield the same format - bold.

Please post the formula you have placed in the Conditional formats that you currently have.

One single (if longer) formula should be able to account for the four different criteria you want to evaluate.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

All of the formulas yield the same result, a bold format. I start with 13 columns with category locations, I add 4 more, I need to identify if any of the 4 new locations match any of the 13 existing. So I used the conditional formatting and used:

Cell Value is equal +$B2
Cell Value is equal +$C2
Cell Value is equal +$D2

I would like to add Cell Value is equal +$E2

If the cells where I put that conditional formatting match any of the 4, I want them to turn to bold.

Alright. Let's say your original data is in column A. [ul][li]Highlight Column A[/li]
[li]Go to Format > Conditional Formatting[/li]
[li]Change the first box to Formula Is[/li]
[li]In the next box, type in
[COLOR=blue white]=OR(A1=B1,A1=C1,A1=D1,A1=E1)[/color][/li]
[li]Set the formatting any way you like (I usually highlight the cells using the Patterns tab)[/li][/ul]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

That does what I need. Thanks for all the help.

[cheers]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back