Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel conditional field based on values in a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2jesus

Programmer
May 20, 2003
US
Hello,
I am trying to create a field that will change between "yes" and "No" based on the following:
Another field in the same row will have a number in it. Yet another field on the same row will have a dollar amount. i.e. "yes/no" field, 44567, $500.00

On a separate spreadsheet I will have a column of these numbers. In the next column will be a dollar amount.

What I want to do is have the yes/no field search the separate spreadsheet for the number in column 2, and then compare the dollar amount in column 3 to the dollar amount in the separate spreadsheet.

To clarify:
spreadsheet "A" has "yes/no" field, 44567, $500.00

spreadsheet "B" has number, $amount

I want A1 to search B comparing A2 to B1. When a match is
found, compare A3 to B2 and set A1 to "yes" or "no" based on the results.

Is this possible? If so how?

Thanks for all responses,

Jim

[tt]=IF(VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet2!B2:C10,2,FALSE)=C2,"Yes","No")[/tt]?

If I missed the mark could you post a sample of the data your working with, I having trouble following your narrative.

CMP

I am sorry I have not succeeded in answering all of your questions.
In fact, I apologize for not completely answering any of them.
The answers I have however do serve to raise a whole new set of questions I had not previously thought of. In some ways, I am as confused as you are but I believe my confusions are (as always) on a higher plane and

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back