Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel code - why so slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberH

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
CA
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. For some reason my code is REALLY slow.
I'm pasting a few lines below:

Sheets("paper-data").Cells(1, 1).Value = Yr
Sheets("paper-data").Cells(2, 1).Value = monStart
Sheets("paper-data").Cells(3, 1).Value = monEnd

Now earlier in the code I have values assigned to Yr, monStart, and monEnd...there is nothing fancy about this, yet it takes around 2 minutes to step through each of the above lines of code. I can't figure out why.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
amber

There's something you're not telling us. Even in the worst case with 255 sheets (with "paper-data" at the end) and using variants instead of integers the code you indicate takes less than 1 second to execute on my computer. What else is going on?

Hiya,

I've had problems with some fairly big spreadsheets as well; turned out Excel was recalculating all the time. I now have the code set Calculation to Manual at the beginning, & do a single recalculate & switch calculation back to its initial setting when I'm done processing.
Code:
    Dim l_iCalcMode As Integer

'Save initial Calculation setting
    l_iCalcMode = Application.Calculation

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

'Your code stuff here ...

'Force a calculation
    Application.Calculate

'Set back to initial calculations etting
    Application.Calculation = l_iCalcMode

Might help ...

Cheers