Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

billheath

Technical User
Mar 17, 2000
US
is it possible to "pop-up" an Excel chart by clicking on a cell with the chart name?

Yes.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

…but you really ought to disclose exactly what your sheet looks like and the effect you wish to achieve by selecting a cell with the chart name.

Skip,
[sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
You Energy!

I have an excel sheet that list various crypto coins that I and my team owns. We use it to track the values and determine when to buy and sell.
On a separate spreadsheet, I keep a log of average cost on a time line. I then use that data to create charts of each. I would like to be able to hover over the coin name on the first sheet and have the chart pop-up for a quick review.
Does this help or would you need further examles?

Well now you moved the goal posts by changing "clicking" on a cell to "hover over[sub][/sub]" the coin name. A clever ploy often made by devious executives.

Skip,
[sub]

You Matter...
You Energy!

Are you ready to do some VBA programming?

In VBA, there are EVENTS that can trigger procedures to execute code.

You can have ONE Chart Object on your sheet that is not visible until a certain cell is SELECTED. That's an Event. When that happens, the appropriate arguments can be supplied to a procedure to size, position and populate the chart and make it visible.

You might also make a chart for each cripto coin and "stuff" it into a cell, and then just adjust the Top, Left, Height & Width properties on the Event.

The options are vast.

BTW, if you're gonna get into charts, ya gotta get Excel Charts by John Walkenbach! Its a classic!
It will expand your horizons.

Skip,
[sub]

You Matter...
You Energy!

I have done a bit of VBA. I'm not proficient in it. I have ordered the book that you recommended. We'll see how that goes.

You'd be better off posting this question in forum707.

Please present all the detail that you can. When you state that each chart has a name, exactly what does that mean?

Is that name the actual VBA Chart.Name or do you mean something else?

Please include the Sheet names. Perhaps even upload a representative copy of your workbook with dummy data if its proprietary.

Skip,
[sub]

You Matter...
You Energy!

Thanks, I'm going to give up for today and will try again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back