Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel chart with two series

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit700

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
US
Hi,
I am trying to create a line chart in excel with two series. Consider the following data:
np time1 time2
1 1000 100
2 900 90
3 850 80
4 700 70
5 600 60
6 400 30
7 300 10
8 270 5
The first series is plotted correctly but the second series is completely wrong. I was wondering if someone else has encountered such a problem with two series charts. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem.

thanks,
samit

Hi

Please describe in what way is the second series line incorrect. Is it plotted against a second X axis?

Regards: tf1

More info please. What do you mean by ....

the second series is completely wrong

is the series being plotted? Is it the scaling you are not happy with?

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Hi,

time1 and time2 are plotted against the same np. The series for time2 is coming out to be wrong. It is hard to explain how it is incorrect but the line graph is completely distorted for time2. However if I remove time1 series, then time2 series becomes correct. But I am not able to get both the series right together.

Samit

OK not sure if I understand your problem correctly as if you select the data and choose an XY scatter then the data is plotted correctly.

The second series having much samller values will hardly show. To get a better view select the data series (time 2) right click and choose format data series select the Axis tab and choose secondary axis. You can now choose scaling for each of the Y axis toi suit your needs

I was using line graph. xy scatter works !
thanks

For anyone who was as confused as I was about this:

I entered samit700's sample data into a spreadsheet and used the Chart Wizard to create a graph. I think I see the problem.

When selecting Line chart type, excel defaults to 3 series: Time1, Time2 and np. When selecting scatter chart type, Excel defaults to just the 2 series.

samit700, have you gotten the data charted satisfactorily with lines yet?

[tt]__________________________________________
My name is John, and I approved this post.[/tt]

To get the best answers fast, please read faq181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back