Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Cell Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUDustin

Technical User
Dec 26, 2001
US
Ok, here's my problem i am printing a phone directory and need to know a method for inserting enough periods between the address and phone number to exaclty fill a cell. For example

john smith, 1111 oaktree ave, wallawalla..........(xxx) xxx-xxx

is there something I can do to have excel automatically insert the correct number of periods? I think the CELL Width - LEN(text) will give me the correct number of periods. i just don't know how to make excel insert that number.

Thanks for your help

If you insert the below formula between your address and phone you can get a consistant length in the cell assuming you use a fixed width font.

The freaky thing (at least it happened to me) is that if you add new information to your list of addresses the formula result is #value! If you hit the edit any of the formulas the results reset themselves. (????)

REPT(".",CELL("width")-(LEN("name")+LEN("address")+LEN("phone")))

I could send a sample sheet to you if you would like. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back