Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel cell contents 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopelessliar

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how to tell whether a cell is an inputted value or a formula? The spreadsheet I'm looking at predicts future values which should be replaced with final values by the user once the data is available. I want to be able to check whether the final values have been input.

I'm not sure how clear I've been with my description here! If it needs further clarification then please shout.

Thanks

Select the cell - if the formula bar (above the column headers) contains the same value as the cell does, then it is an inputted value. If not, the formula is showed in the formula bar.

(If you cannot see any formyla bar, then select that option in the "view" menu)

Is this what you were after?

// Patrik

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the IT Professional, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

sadly not!

I'm looking for a function that will return for example,

"true" if the cell conatins a formula
"false" if it is an input value

hopelessliar,
You can accomplish your objective using a user-defined function (written in VBA). Use it with a worksheet formula like:
=HasFormula(A1) returns True if A1 contains a formula, False otherwise
Code:
Function HasFormula(cel As Range) As Boolean
HasFormula = cel.HasFormula
End Function
To install a sub or function, ALT + F11 to open the VBA Editor. Insert...Module to create a blank module sheet. Paste the code there, then ALT + F11 to return to the spreadsheet.

If the above procedure doesn't work, then you need to change your macro security setting. To do so, open the Tools...Macro...Security menu item. Choose Medium, then click OK.

Brad

Should work fine.

// Patrik

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the IT Professional, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi hopelessliar,

This may not help and Brad's answer is probably what you're after, but depending on your setup you might consider an alternative of looking only at cells with formulae. The first sample below just selects all formulae, the second loops through them ..
Code:
[blue]    ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 23).Select
    MsgBox "Highlighted cells contain formulae. Please enter correct values."
[/blue]
Code:
[blue]    For Each cel In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 23)
        MsgBox "Cell " & cel.Address & " contains a formula."
    Next[/blue]

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at [url=http://www.vbaexpress.

Thanks for all the help guys, Brad's function was exactly what I needed and Tony's thoughts may well prove useful at another time.

Thanks
again.

To view all of the formulas a spreadsheet has, you can also press the keys <cntrl><~> (tilda) at the same time to see formulas. to change it back press them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back