Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Autoformat and Mail Merge Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

brogan

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
Hopefully this should be a simple problem for somebody to help, I would be greatful as it is causing me problems.

I have a simple formula that works 82.5% of a monetary value, as seen below:

=SUM(E2*0.825)

I have set up the whole column so that it shows the result to no decimal point and with a comma included which works fine.

I then link this Excel document to a Word document so that I can Mail Merge these figures into letters.

However, when I preview the letters before printing I get figures such as £147595.89999999999 and with no comma.

How do I get round this? For the above example I would want to show £147,600 (rounded up and with the comma). Word seems to take the unformatted value?

Regards Mark

Hi,

Format in Excel, changes NOTHING in the underlying data. It is merely a DISPLAY convenience IN EXCEL.

When you query the data, you get the data that is there. You must FORMAT the field in Word, using the FormField code.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Hi Mark,

To fix this, select your mailmerge field in Word and press Shift-F9 to expose the code. It'll look something like:
{MERGEFIELD Excelval}
Then add a numeric picture switch to the field, thus:
{MERGEFIELD Excelval \# £,0.00}
This will give you a currency value to 2 decimal places and a thousands separator.
When you're done, press F9 to update the field and run your mailmerge.

Skip:
You must FORMAT the field in Word, using the FormField code
I think I know what you meant to say, but it has nothing to do with formfields.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

MERGEFIELD, rather then FORMFIELD, a field nonethelss.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back