Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - Auto-Fill feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecdn

Programmer
Oct 28, 2003
CA
Is there a way you can default the auto-fill, so that when you put in a numeric value, it will increment ... mine is defaulted to copying and you have to manually select the increment option ... but with others, theirs is defaulted to increment. I can't seem to find it in the options anywhere and it's a bit of a pain, especially when you're in a hurry to create a spreadsheet.

Anyway, any insight would be great.
Thanks in advance

Hi Joe,
if i understood you correctly your problem is when you enter for example 1 in A1 and you drag, it doesn't work unless you use the auto fill options right. have you tried to put 1 in A1 and 2 in A2, then select both cells and do your drag. this way you let excel know that it is a series and it increments automatically. it works also for days (Monday, Tuesday, --> Drag)...

Adnane

Micorosft North Africa

Days work with a single value. Also a sequence of values that form a custom list.

What you are looking for is:

Edit > Fill > Series

There are many options in that menu.

Bah, didn't see that "manual part".

For autodrag you need to give excel a reference, take the following example:

A1 = 1
A2 = 3
A3 = 5

If you highlight cells A1:A3 and then drag down it will continue the sequence. The next number will be 7, 9, etc.

If you just select cell A3, Excel will copy as it doesn't have any reference to figure out what else to do.

I think it starts to try to determine your step once you have two cells selected but the more the better obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back