Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel as a datasource - what's the table name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptj

Programmer
Oct 5, 2001
GB
Hi I'm trying to use an excel spreadsheet (with the first row containing column names and the rest containing data) as a datasource.

I have built a connection string that works, but when I try to bring back a recordset based on some SQL I fail because I don't know what the 'table name' is for an Excel sheet.

I am connecting using OLEDB (for DSN) I think and the connection code goes through, but when I query using the sql: "SELECT * FROM table" it always gives an error of object not found. I have tried the sheet name, 'Sheet1', the file name, and a variety of other things to no avail.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I am doing some automated data conversion into access from the sheet, so getting a recordset would be a good start, but an alternative would be to get it into a temporary table where I can start to work on it!

Thanks in anticipation

Phil.

I need to get this working again myself. I think teh format is
SELECT [Sheet1$].[Title] AS Title , [Sheet1$].[Firstname] AS FirstName , [Sheet1$].[Surname] AS LastName , [Sheet1$].[address] AS Address From [Sheet1$]

My connection string is
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source= D:\Letters Direct\Letters Direct.xls;Extended Properties=Excel 5.0;

Seems to work a bit. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back