Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel and XML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2008
US
I have an XML document that I open with Excel, I then need to make changes and save it back as an XML document. However, when I attempt to do the save I receive the following error "Cannot save or export XML data. The XML maps in this workbook are not exportable." Any suggestions?

Highlight your data. Click on Data, XML and select XML Source. In the task pane, click on Verify Map for Export and it will tell you the reason for the error.

To fix your problem, please look at this Thread

Vita Brevis

I get the following two errors...

"List of lists" & "A mapped element's relationship with other elements cannot be preserved".

I have tried to follow the steps in the link provided, but I am unable to get the data to export.

I have searched to find how to resolve the two errors that I am getting, but I have not found a clear explanation as to the cause or resolution.

I am very new to XML, so I am learning as I go.

You can dowload an Excel add-in from MS. Here is the Link

Vita Brevis

I manupulate XML using XML Editors. I have very little experience with Excel; actually none.

This Link gives a good example of List of Lists. As a matter of fact, the link provides suggestions on how to troubleshoot XML.

Vita Brevis

The problem is that the data is inside an Excel file. I need a way to get the data from Excel to XML.

Basically, I believe, in your case the data is denormalized. Once the data is Normalized, it should be easy to save the file to XML.

There are myriads of articles on data normalization on the internet.

Messrs Higgins and Vought along with some of the well known Brits on this forum are more knowledgeable in the area of normalization than myself.

Vita Brevis

I agree. I do believe that once I find a way to normalize the data, it should export out to XML. I hav etried all I know, as well as, ideas other people have given me. I have done research online, and I have tried soem suggestions I found doing the research.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back