Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel & Word files not opening - Office 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEFJ

MIS
Dec 15, 2001
US
Have a machine that refuses to open excel files or word files. When you try to open a word file you get the error message.

&quot;the file <filename.doc> is not available&quot; with OK as the only option. Clicking OK opens a blank page.

when you try to close word you get the message
&quot;the file Normal.dot already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?&quot;

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling office. Replacing, deleting, and renaming the normal.dot files.

&quot;The file could not be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with the file.&quot; with OK prompt... it then requires you to hit OK three times and opens a blank page.

I have mailed the files to another machine and opened them fine after scanning for viruses. I have removed the anti virus software completly from the PC and still have the same results.

Using Windows XP SP1, Office 2003 Pro, Symantec Corporate 8.01.

Thanks in advance - NJS

That actually worked. I had seen that article in my searching and thought it didnt apply... I was screwing around with the PC last night and discovered that the developer had installed norton antivirus.

But the unregistering of the DLL worked great.. Thanks - Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back