Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Add-in occasionally causes Excel to Linked to .xla file as if for a data link

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I've seen this since I began working with my current employer. We have a large set of Excel workbooks which mostly use code stored in one shared .XLA file on a file server.

In 99% of the workbooks, this NEVER happens, even though they all use the same or similar functions stored in the .xla file.

The .xla file (Excel addin file) was built here simply to keep much of the VBA code in one location since many are identical regardless of which workbook is opened. The excel files are both .xls and .xlsm files. The source "templates" are not actual templates, but basic Excel macro enabled workbooks tied to this .xla file through VBA reference.

Here's the odd part: For a few workbooks, Excel takes that VBA reference and creates a data link. This causes Excel to prompt to update links whenever those workbooks are opened. I can find code to just always update the links and skip the prompt, but I want to know why it does this on occasion.

My guess is there's some slight difference in a couple of the functions which are only used on certain Excel files, but I'm not sure why they would be different. Most if not all the custom specialized functions are simply taking inputs as variables from the workbook and carrying out calculations then spitting back out a value to the excel worksheet formula.

This one has my scratching my head so far. I tried correcting the first file I noticed this with a couple years ago. I thought I had it taken care of, but there are 2 things that happen in trying to fix it:
1. I remove the link and some formulas disappear.
2. I recreate the formulas and the link reappears which also seems to point to it having something to do with the custom vba functions.

I'm not expecting anyone to know this one, but if anyone has any clues or any suggestions, I'm all ears/eyes.

Thanks

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back