Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel accounting number formats

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainm

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
AU
I'm doing an accounting and finance course in which the lecturer requires us to format numbers by putting negative numbers in parentheses - I'm told this is a firaly standard acconuting practice. I've found number formats which put negative numbers in red, but not in parentheses. I tried writing my own format, by putting in "#####;(#####)" but this rounded the numbers off to integers. I tried putting in the decimal point, but this resulted in every number having a decimal point. I just want it to treat numbers as general, ie putting in decimals if I've got them, and leaving them out if I don't, and put negative numbers in parentheses. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
cheers,
-Iainm

iainm,

Place the following in the custom format type: -

EUR#,##0.##;[Red](-EUR#,##0.##)

This will result in negative numbers being red, preceded by Eur and contained in parentheses. Decimal protions will only appear if they are present. I have not been able to remove the decimal point if there is no decimal portion.

To remove the red colouring of the negative and to remove euro formatting use the following:-

#,##0.##;(-#,##0.##)

Tom

I just found it. it was obvious really.
General;(General)
-Iainm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back