Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 97 - Clicking hyperlink closes original spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuelBiddulph

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2003
US
My Excel skills are up to scratch and i'm having a bit of bother with hyperlinks.

Basically i have an Excel 97 document that uses hyperlinks to go to other Excel 97 documents. This works fine and the documents re found and displayed ok. The problem is the original document that i had open is closed, i don't want this to happen really as i'd like to be able to close the hyperlined document and still have my original document open in Excel.

Any ideas what i need to do?

Hi SamuelBiddulph,

Are you quite sure it's closed? The hyperlink doesn't open a new instance of Excel, just another window in the current instance but I can't find a way to make it actually close the original. How are you exiting the linked-to workbook?

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

It appears to close it down, Once you have hyperlinked to the other document if you goto the 'Window' and see what windows you can switch to the original document is not listed and there is only the occurance of the hyperlinked document.

I've seen with another document that this doesn't happen and both the original document and the hyperlink document are both shown in the 'Window' menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back