Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 365 - like a cut out figure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavescent

Programmer
Mar 24, 2024
US
nsfwgifs.net
How do I make a shape look like a cut out, ie with the center transparent, the edge line visible but external to that all white.
I've tried using a text box and shape with transparency set to 0, but I now realize I need corresponding ?zones? of that text box to be transparent too
Literally to appear like holes cut into a white sheet? revealing content behind, I'm stumped and not even sure what to google.
Is the only option to creat a "blank gif overlay"?
Thanks all

Just use a border around a regular cell (or group of cells).
You can set a thickness and a color to it from the dropdown menus in Excel.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCAP, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS, ATD

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

transparency set to 0".

Transparency = 0 means opaque. If you want to see content behind a shape, set transparency to a high value.

Shapes are homogeneous - they don't have "zones". You could make a composite of shapes, with differing transparency as you need.

Why don't you explain what you are trying to achieve, rather than constraining the possible solutions by explaining how you think it should be done.

If I need a rectangular range only visible, I hide other rows and columns.
To select all columns on the right of the range, I select first column to hide, press CTRL+SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW, right-click selected area and hide from the popup menu. Similar action with DOWN ARROW to select all rows below selected row.

combo

mintjulep said:
Why don't you explain what you are trying to achieve, rather than constraining the possible solutions by explaining how you think it should be done.

The WHAT is so important for you to clearly, concisely and completely explain, in order that the experts here in the HOW, have enough information to offer a cogent solution.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back