Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 365- Formula Help - When A1=X and B1=Y, Return C1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinderellie

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
US
I need help with an Excel formula. I’ll probably have a SMH moment when I get an answer… but drawing a blank right now.

I want the value in C1 returned when the value in A1=x and the value in B1=y.

Thanks!

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it." -William Arthur Ward-

Hi,

What expression do you have to manipulate x & y?

For instance if your expression is
2x + y/3
then

C1=2*A1+B1/3

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

I pretty sure I am missing something here, but the way I read your query would result in the answer to place the formula
[tt]=IF(AND(A1=x, B1=y), C1, "something else")[/tt]
in whichever cell you are dealing with.[ ] If this is not what you mean can you please elaborate things a bit more.

[sub][ ]—————————————————————————————————[/sub]
[sup]Engineering mathematician/analyst.[ ] See my profile for more details.[/sup]

I have a spreadsheet with numerous rows of data. Each row is unique to a transaction. I want to get the result of C1 when cells A & B match certain criteria

An example would be A=0 and B=(cust#).
Each customer has various data. So I’m looking for a specific combination match, and then want to see that row’s column C data.

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it." -William Arthur Ward-

You started by asking about three specific cells, but now you're asking about "numerous rows of data".

You are also asking to "see" a row's column C data, implying that the data is already there to see. Perhaps conditional formatting could be helpful for you.

Deniall's formula has the fundamental logic, and it could be used as a custom formula for conditional formatting.

What happens in vagueness, stays in vagueness.
Viva Las Vagueness!

Maybe a sample of worksheet with actual data and the result you expect to see.

Skip,
[sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
You Energy!

Tic...toc...tic...toc...

Skip,
[sub]

You Matter...
You Energy!

I agree with Deniall. If it meets 2 criteria, show column C. This is a simple IF/AND in excel.

IF(AND(A1=x, B1=y), C1, "something else")

Macola and SAP Business One Consultant
Check out our Macola tools:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back