Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2k3 - cannot start source application for this object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aich69

Technical User
Apr 23, 2004
GB
I have a user who has several spreadsheets with embedded jpegs. When trying to open the jpegs he gets the following message:

Cannot start the source application for this object

I assumed this to be a file association issue at first but file association for jpeg files is fine. He has no issues opening the jpeg direct from source but not from within the spreadsheet.

Have tried running Excel under the local admin profile but still the same message so not a profile issue. Other users are able to open the embedded jpegs from these sheets.

For the record the spreadsheets reside on a network share and the embedded jpegs are in a separate folder on the same share.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...an answer leading to a fix may well carry a knighthood.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Quick update on this...

Have tried this user with a new profile and a completely new build machine and still the error persists...the problem just seems to follow him regardless of profile or computer logged on to. All the while it works for others and worked for him previously.

Still stumped if anyone wants to have a stab at this?

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back