Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2010 - highlight greater than 40 characters 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjbrown815

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2006
US
Hello,
I have a spreadsheet that has a columnB of text. I need to highlight any row with text greater than 40 characters (including spaces). Please help, thanks

-CJ

SQL2005// CRXIr2// XP Pro

"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be"
-KHALIL GIBRAN 1883-1931

I don't recall the exact formatting of using formulas inside of conditional formatting, but you could use conditional formatting, and say something like WHERE LEN(B2) > 40.

Assuming Excel 2010, since you didn't specify version.

Home tab
Conditional Formatting
Highlight Cells Rules
More Rules (at bottom of list)
User a formula to determine which cells to format (I think).

Another option would be to plug the formula in for Len(B2) into C2, and then base your formula on that field. Just depends upon how you want to look at it.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Have you tried Conditional Formatting in Excel?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Here are the steps

1 select all the cells you want to apply Conditional Formatting

keep in mind that the Conditional Formatting formula will be with reference to the FIRST RWO of the selection applied.

2 enter the formula, (assuming that the first row of data is row 2)

=LEN($B2)>40

When that expression is TRUE, the selected format will be applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back