Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2007--where's my file located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
I have an xls file open...grabbed from the recent file list.

I have *no* idea where this is on disk.

The recent list of course doesn't tell the path. Where would this information be located within excel? This seems like pretty basic info but I can't find this anywhere in Excel 2007
Thanks,
--Jim

Just go to Save As and note the folder structure.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Oh, also.... If you just hover your cursor over the file in the Recent Files list a pop up will appear showing the full path of the file.

Another method is to enter

=CELL("filename", A1)

into any cell

Thanks all. I see that those suggestions do work--the SaveAs didn't work at first for me because in my initial panic I hit SaveAs and just gave it a "xxxV2.xls" name in my C: root so I could at least quickly find it because I had to email it quickly.

But I recall in earlier versions there was a simple menu item under Properties or something that had all that info. It just seems that with the "ribbon" in Excel (and all 2007+ MSOffice products) that things seem harder to get to--and not just because they're in new places. But I'm getting off on a tangent...
Thanks,
--Jim

If you know the file name, Windows Explorer could be your friend in finding it.

Me, I don't like when Microsoft tells me where to keep my files, so I change the default location. in Excel 2003 it is in Tools - Options... - General tab: Default file location: So I have it at [tt]"C:\Andrzej\Excel\"[/tt]

I am sure 2007 have this default settings somewhere, too.

Guess what do I keep in [tt]"C:\Andrzej\Word\"[/tt] folder? :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

I never used that menu item in earlier versions, but maybe this is what you're looking for?

Go to the Office Button > Prepare > Properties

That allows you to see the location of the file (at the right) as well as edit various properties such as Author.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back