Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel 2007 attachments opening in read only mode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dausa67

Technical User
Oct 1, 2008
US
Good morning,
I have a user that has a problem with Excel (2003 & 2007) email attachments. All his emails that contain an Excel attachment will only open in read-only mode. The problem is that if the sender requires him to make changes to the Excel attachment, he is forced to take extra un-nessary steps in order to save the changes and send back to the originator. We have 30+ other users that do not have this issue.They are able to open any Excel email attachment, make changes, click save, close and send back to originator.

We are using Windows XP with Microsoft Office 2007.

Can someone tell me how to correct this problem?

Thank you very much for any help that is provided.
Clay

Clay

Is the user using Outlook 2010? If so, take a look at File – > Options – > Trust Center – > Trust Center Settings to see if attachments are set in protected mode to open in read only.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

No, he is using Outlook 2007. I did go into the Trust Center in Outlook 2007 but I do not see a setting for attachments set in protected mode. Could this setting be located so where else in Outlook 2007?

Clay

Please make sure the user is not opening the attachment from preview panel. Open the mail, then open attachment.

Avoid Hangovers. Stay drunk.

Yes, I have made sure of that. He does not use the preview panel.

I keep going to his desk to look in the setting but I just can't find anything that has helped.
Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Clay

IS the temp directory that the files are opened in have the appropriate permissions for this user?

Thank you for the reply.

I have not checked that yet. I know how to find the temp directory but can you tell me if the setting would be under folder properties or folder options?

Clay

Right click on the folder and choose properties. Under the popup chose security and click on the users name. The security settings should be evident on what is required.

Thank you very much. That solved the problem.
Have a great day.

Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back