Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003 slow on Memory Deallocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojisheng

Programmer
May 16, 2002
US
We have an excel spreadsheet app (in VBA) that uses DAO. The app works fine. After exiting the spreadsheet, any other app (operating system level interface seems fine) seems unresponsive. (I am pretty sure [ponder] that this is not the SMB signing issue in MSKB Article 814112).

We did notice that Excel.exe is in the task manager processes list with the Memory decreasing (starting at about 40+Meg) ohhhh so slowly [hourglass](100 K a second or so) until it suddenly drops to about 20M and everything is responsive.

I am reviewing [3eyes] the VBA code to ensure that objects are set to nothing. I do not know [ponder] if closing and reopening the DAO connection as needed would help or hurt the situation.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Resolution? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance [thumbsup2]

memory leaks in Excel is not uncommon.

have you been setting objects to NOTHING once you close connection/recordset? If not, that can eat up memory, but does not solve all memory leaks.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

Thanks for the tip. I will be checking that first thing next week.

Regardless if it is a leak, it is the time it takes to release the memory. I don't know if it is going thru executing distructor methods for items that were not already set to nothing. or maybe it doesn't execute the destroy until it absolutely has to...like when one closes the workbook.

I will stop babbling now...I will review my code for a missing set nothing when I close the recordset.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back