Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003, Keep getting Error saying Personal.xls is being used 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
Or notify user. No one is using that file.
How can I stop this?
I think it started when I un-installed Office 2000 Disk 2 to free up disk space. I have Office 2003 and Office 2000 was on the machine before but I removed it a while ago with no problems. I wanted to install Visual Studio 2005 and needed more disk space so I uninstalled a bunch of things.

Anyway I can't run Macros anymore and other things, it's annoying.

TIA

DougP, MCP, A+

Have you checked under Window menu? is Personal.xls hidden?

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Yes it is!!!
I un-hid it and closed it, it asked if I wanted to save and I said no.
Do I need to do anything else?
I think that fixed it.

Hav-A-Star
[shadeshappy]

DougP, MCP, A+

It needs to be hidden.

And if it weants to be saved, it's better saved.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

It stil keeps coming up. It only happens if I open a second copy of Excel. I'm working on different spreadsheets.
Here is the message
PERSONAL.XLS is locked for editing
by myname
Click Readonly or Notify
There are 3 buttons, Notify, Read Only and Cancel
I click Cancel.
Then I can work.
Any ideas how to shut it off for good. I put Macros in there so I can use them on any spreadsheet.

DougP, MCP, A+

Doug,

If you open a second copy(instance) of Excel you really need a second personal.xls because it is not sharable incase it may be updated. (I have not been aware of anyone ever doing this!)

Why do you need to open a second copy of Excel when you can open multiple spreadsheets with the first copy of Excel? Especially when you have macros there for all your spreadsheets!

Don't open Excel with Excel already open, rather use File Open to open a new spreadsheet - it will not affect the spreadsheets you already have open, and you can use the full Copy/Paste facilities between spreadsheets if needed, which are not available if the speadsheets are opened with separate copies of Excel.

Good Luck!

Peter Moran

Well I double click another file on the server and it opens another copy of Excel. We have tons of Excel sheets for different clients. They are small but contain data specific. I have a folder open and its quicker to double click the one I need rather than do "File" "Open"

anyway

DougP, MCP, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back