Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL 2003:How to pick a specific subset of data within field array 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMER101

Programmer
Feb 17, 2003
GB
Help ?

I have a column within Excel (2003) which contains several elements of data, is there a way without using text to columns that I can pick the Nth element of data. The data is delimited.

eg
A1 contains "Frank,Betty,Alfred,Stan,Peter"

in B1 I want to display the 3 element of data ie "Alfred".

If there is a solution, can the delimiter also be specified ie if the data was
"Frank|Betty|Alfred|Stan|Peter"

Here's hoping...

Can I ask why Text To Columns cannot be used? That would make things very simple indeed.

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

For a not so simple answer, how about this array formula? This is entered using Ctrl-Shift-Enter:

Code:
=MID(A1,SMALL(IF(MID(Delimiter&A1&Delimiter,ROW($1:$256),1)=Delimiter,ROW($1:$256),999),NthChoice),SMALL(IF(MID(Delimiter&A1&Delimiter,ROW($1:$256),1)=Delimiter,ROW($1:$256),999),NthChoice+1)-SMALL(IF(MID(Delimiter&A1&Delimiter,ROW($1:$256),1)=Delimiter,ROW($1:$256),999),NthChoice)-1)

Replace Delimiter with whatever delimiter you require, and NthChoice with whatever nth word number you want.

Cheers, Glenn.

Can you use vba? It's quite simple with UDF:
Code:
Function PickNthItem(InputString As String, Delimiter As String, N As Integer) As String
On Error Resume Next
PickNthItem = Split(InputString, Delimiter)(N - 1)
End Function
annd in worksheet:
=PickNthItem(A1,",",3)

combo

GlennUK,

thanks for that it works a treat, don't mind complicated just as long as it works.

(With regards the ther posts, I don't know VBA and didn't want to use text to columns as wanted to create something with as few steps as possible for the end user to work with.

Thanks to you all.

Jamer101

Hi Jamer101,

my pleasure. Glad to have helped :)

Cheers, Glenn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back