Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003 Formula Display In Cell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matethreat

Technical User
Jan 5, 2004
AU
Hello Everyone,

I am having a problem with Excel 2003. When I enter a formula into a cell, quite often the formula is displayed and not the result. Is there something I need to do to have it always diplay the result. I have never seen this before.

Thank You,

Aaron

Destiny Is Not The Chances We Take, But The Descisions We Make.

Check that Formulas is NOT ticked in Tools > Options > "View" tab.

A keyboard shortcut for this is [Ctrl]+[`].

If that isn't the problem, then you're probably typing into data that has been imported into Excel, right? In this scenario your problem is that the cell is formatted as TEXT. Post back if you're still having trouble with this.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

This often happens when people insert a column into their spreadsheet to the right of a set of text and then try putting formulas into it. The inserted column will take on the characteristics of the one to its immediate left, ie text, and as such when you enter a formula you end up with the actual formula showing. If you simply select the column, format as general and then reenter the formula it work.

Likewise if you already had a bunch of formulas like that, simply format the column correctly as described, then select them all and do an Edit / Replace, replacing = with = (Yes I did mean that) and that will make them all formulaic again.

Regards
Ken...............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back