Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003 / Excel 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickalty

Technical User
Jun 29, 2001
US
Hello.

I have a VBA application written in Excel 2003 that works just fine. However, when a user opens the workbook in Excel 2007 the appication errors out and won't run.

Are there any hints or tips to make sure an app will run fine in 2003 or 2007 ?

Richard

I had a problem with PPT 2007 where a property of an item I had been using in 2000/2003 was no longer available. The best way is to open it in 2007, and run a compile (assuming you have Option Explicit active on all modules/forms/classes) and see which lines it marks with errors.

Hi,
{quote]the appication errors out and won't run.
[/quote]
Do you get an error message, or does it just not run?

In the latter case, have you enabled the macro content?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I've asked the users who've reported this to me to respond and tell me exactly what happened. All I've got so far is "there was an error message and then nothing happened". I'll post more details when I get them. I don't have 2007 available to me to test.

Richard

Are there any hints or tips to make sure an app will run fine in 2003 or 2007 ?"

Yes. Don't use 2007.

All kidding aside - although I am not kidding - 95% of code that executes correctly in 2003 will do the same in 2007. But we all know that the 5% of anything makes up 80% of any given work.

There are a few known differences that have been major problems. For example, if there is any FileSearch used in the 2003 code, this will fail in 2007. For whatever reason, Microsoft removed FileSearch from 2007 VBA, and this functionality is not available. Gone gone gone.

HarleyQuinn, here at Tek-Tips, has written a somewhat equivalent DLL to duplicate most of FileSearch. If you end up determining this was the problem, gets his DLL.

Other than that, yup, actual testing is the only solution. Obviously, this is best done BEFORE production level implmentation of 2007. Unfortunately, most organizations never bother, and end up having real-time issues when things "don't work".

"A little piece of heaven
without that awkward dying part."

advertisment for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (a chocolate/peanut butter confection)

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back