Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003 Error Messages On Opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

elinsd

Programmer
Oct 22, 2002
US
I'm using Windows XP Pro and just upgraded my MS Office from 97 to 2003. Everything else seems to work fine except Excel.

Every time I open the program or a .xls file I got multiple occurance (about 12 times each) of 2 error messages before I can open the program or the file. One error is "438 Object doesn't support this property or method and the other one is "92 For loop not initialized".

I've been searching all over the web to find solutions but couldn't find one and it seems that there were other people were asing the same questions.

I'd appreciate if anyone has ideas to help me get rid of these annoying errors.

Thanks.

When you open these files/application, try holding the shift key until the file is opened. Then right click the workbook icon directly left of the File menu, select View code and post everything you have there.

If nothing is there press Ctrl + R, expand all for Personal.xls and double click the ThisWorkbook module, copy/paste all code here.

-----------
Regards,
Zack Barresse

When I opened the application while holding the shift key, got another error msg "cannot open MS Excel Add-In for editing. Please edit the source document instead."

Then I did as what you asked to open the VB code windows but nothing was there under both general and workbook.

Once you get excel open that way, go to Tools | Addins, disable all of the addins (uncheck them all and click ok). You have an offending addin that is running some open/install code which is erroring out. Reinstall them one by one the same way you uninstalled them. In between each installation (checking), close and reopen Excel. When you get the error again, the addin you just installed is the offending file. You'll need to do something with that file or modify (or post here) it's opening code.

-----------
Regards,
Zack Barresse

Thanks, what you said makes sense. I tried your suggested method but still couldn't isolate the problem. When I clicked the browse button for the addins that were original checked but there were no files. The addin folder is empty. Do I need to try repairing the installation?

It is probably in a different location. What that Browse button opens up to is the default Excel addins folder. Do a search for *.xla and *.xll to find your addins.

When you disabled all the addins, closed Excel and opened it, did you still get the error?

-----------
Regards,
Zack Barresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back