Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2002 prompts for copy or overwrite when no other user in file

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneIT

MIS
Jan 16, 2002
US
Since upgrading my users from Excel 2000 to 2002 (XP) they are prompted with the following message: "The file 'whatever.xls' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do?" Save a copy or overwrite changes. There is no other user in the file and in many cases the file has never been opened by any other user. Has anybody else seen this and if so is there a solution?

For some reason, the workbooks have the share attribute turned on. Go to Tools, Share Workbook... and uncheck "Allow changes by more than....."

Indu Getting married was the most expensive way for me to find out all my faults.

I looked in the Tools > Share Workbook and the box was unchecked. ??? Does anyone have any ideas why I'm getting this message when no one else is/was in the file?

When you are working on a file from a network drive, and for some reason the network connectivity is lost, another user can open the file, make changes, save, etc.

Then, if you try to save the file, Excel will compare the time stamp of the file in the system memory with that of the file on the network drive. If the two time stamps do not match, you get the error message.

Your choices at this point are:

Save to another drive
or
choose Overwrite Changes

"Mind is like a parachute. Works well when opened."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back