Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000 settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

methoni

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
I am running Microsoft Excel 2000 on WinXP Pro.
It seems that every time our IT dept works on our network system, my toolbar gets reset and also my default file location and alternate file start-up locations get changed.
Are there any settings that can prevent this?

Thanks for your help.
DT

The settings you mention are registry settings - I'm not entirely sure where all the Excel options are saved but somewhere like HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel.

You could probably devise a way to keep your own copies or some other way to maintain your settings but there's no "disable the ignorant adminstrator" option.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Open Excel.
Goto Tools at the top
Goto Options.
Click on the General tab.

"Default file location" Change it to your desired file location. I will note, that this how you do it on Office 2003. But if i remember correctly it about the same.

I know this thread is, Hope it helps someone

TonyJ said:
no "disable the ignorant adminstrator" option.
[lol]

Maybe someone should ask micro$oft to install one!
Or even the advanced "disable the ignorant outsourced adminstrator" option

;-)
If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]
How do I get the best answers?

Toolbar settings are stored in a file called *.xlb. Just go find and backup and the restore when they blow it away.

Regards
Ken.............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back