Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000 Password Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoonyD

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2001
US
Hi All!

I have an Excel Spreadsheet(workbook) that is password protected. When I go to Tools, then protection, the menu says protect sheet and protect workbook! Is there another place in excel where you can lock down a workbook? Going to the Tools menu then dragging down to Protection is the only place I know of. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

The way I was taught to password protect a excel file, is to open the file, then select file, save as, select the tools icon, select general options, then enter a password for password to open and/or password to modify.

Hocking's procedure is the correct way to do it.

FYI while on the subject -

"Microsoft officials say the ability to password-protect and hide data is not a "security" feature but a "display" feature."

Keep this in mind if you are using excel to hide or password protect cells and sensitive data. This is NOT a security feature!

Here's another quote regarding Excel password "protection" :

"When Excel data is copied using the "copy all" command and pasted into a new spreadsheet, it exposes the hidden and password-protected cells, which may contain data such as employee salaries, return-on-investment or expense report calculations, or request-for-proposal formulas. Excel users must execute an "unhide" command in Excel before they see the previously protected data in the spreadsheet copy, but in non-Microsoft spreadsheets the hidden cells are automatically revealed."

Try it - piece of cake to get the protected info isn't it?
:
Maybe i should have written this as a FAQ, but it applies here as well. Anyway...just some additional information about the feature is all I wanted to offer. :)

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

That Helped TONS!! Thanks Peoples!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back