Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000 Hanging when opening files

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeg13g

Technical User
Feb 1, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a laptop on Windows 2k (sp3) and Office 2k (sp2)
When user tries to open files in excel the files are on the Netware 4.11 server, 5 out of 10 times the File Open Box, it starts to display the files then Excel will hang. Therefore excel has to be shutdown from task manager.
Open up excel again try to open the files through Excel and same again.

I have uninstalled office and reinstalled office. I thought it might be a NW Client issue but the laptop has a newer one anyway.

Any ideas girls and guys.

Thanks
G

Find the toolbar customisation file *.xlb and delete it. This does not get replaced during a reinstall, so may well be why the reinstall doesn't help, but is prone to corruption in 2000. Excel will create a new one when it launches.

Worth a shot anyway.

Regards
Ken.........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi KenWright,

I have tried that but made no difference. After deletion, if froze straight away. Any other ideas???

Thanks
Gav

Did you try making a copy of the workbook sheet by sheet ( if possible) and then opening?

Hi,
you cant even get that far to open the open the worksheet and to copy. I have just found out that its also happening in word as well. Any ideas????

Thanks
Gav

I experienced this issue with a workstation running MS Office2K on Win2K. The ultimate problem ended up being an inoperative network print server that the workstation was connected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back