Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000.. changing single cell width not column

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlm9802

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2000
US
How would I go about changing just certain cells to have different widths in the same column? changing the column width affects all cells in the column.

say I wanted cell a1 with width of 20 and cell b1 width of 10, b2 width of 10.

I thought it would just let me click and drag at the side of the cells, but no luck. I know you can do almost anything in office, its just a matter of finding out how.

Well you can't do that I'm afraid - the nearest you can get would be to merge A1 & B1 with both columns having a width of 10

Rgds
Geoff
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Get the best answers to your questions - faq222-2244

If you just want more room for data in the cell, you can also use word wrap within the individual cells: (Format>Cells Click Alignment tab, Check box for Wrap Text). This will increase the cell size vertically as needed for the entered data, and the width can remain the same within the column.

nlm,

You can make forms on worksheets with a great deal of precision by using the merge cells technique as xlbo has suggested.

You can increase the precision by selecting all cells and making the columns' width much smaller than the default column width and then merging as many cells as desired (both in the horizontal as well as the vertical directions)

Just another suggestion :)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Personal opinion only, but shared by pretty much all the regulars in the MS newsgroups, there is nothing more evil and troublesome in Excel than a merged cell. They are the spawn of the devil!!!

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not a fan of merged cells. Right royal pain when referencing, copying to or from when inside a group of cells etc.

Regards
Ken.............

I second that Ken but sometimes there ain't no other way ;-)

Rgds
Geoff
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Get the best answers to your questions - faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back