Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exam 70-647: Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcferrin

MIS
Jul 14, 2003
US
Has anyone out there done this exam, in release or beta form? Or at this point I'd be happy to hear if anyone knows anything about this exam. I just passed the 70-649 this week, and I'm doing 70-620 next week, so the 70-647 will be the only MS exam I have left.

Obviously there's no training material out there, so I'm looking for suggestions/rumors. I've heard that it's 100% simulations (which makes up for 70-649 having no simulations), so I'm working with a fleet of Server 2008 VMs in my free time so that I become familiar with them. I'm just looking for more info. The only thing that I have to go on at this point is the "Skills Measured" section of the exam description here:

MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

FYI

I came across this;

It's not out for a couple of months yet though. Not heard anything about the exam format though.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCTS:Active Directory

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Yeah, I saw that one. There's another book from Syngress called "The REAL MCITP prep guide" or something similar that is supposedly available now, though Amazon in the US says there's a 2-4 week delay in shipping.

I'm thinking I may just hammer the topics listed on the MS site and get a lot of hands on, then take a stab at the exam in May. With the free second shot I'd have until the end of June to make a second attempt, and having seen the test once I'd probably be a lot better prepared. Though I'd really like to keep my "passing on the first try" streak intact.

I forgot to mention, that MS self-paced guide supposedly isn't being released in the US until July 12th. The 70-646 book is available now...

This exam is just weird when considered from pretty much every other exam you would of ever done. Its definitely not hard if you have a reasonable generic knowledge of microsoft software.

The core of the exam focuses around 2-3 questions reworded a couple of dozen times with a different objective. Can't remember how many questions there were but i think it was at least 50 total.

Basically you will get a scenario question that very similar to the all the other ones and you will either have xp, vista or both as clients. You will have 2003, 2008 or both as DC in a single or multidomain environment with possible a 2nd company in either joined in some sort of forest relationship. Usually you have some sort of remote office/s via wan links. (This near identical question is repeated for the majority of the test).

The question will state one to three outcomes you have to achieve, these outcomes are extremely simple if you have a basic understanding of the AD design as pretty much everyone of them you will be thinking wow that question was a gift.

Key knowledge areas, are domain and forest level functionality to implement generic 2k8 new features and what various trusts can do, including federation.

Also throughout the exam there are a small collection of questions relating to common microsoft products, isa, exchange, wss, wsus and moss. I found these for the most part pretty simple except for a question i got that required a very good understanding of the differences between moss and wss, (I looked it up after i did the exam and still don't know the answer).

Basically i would say anyone who has a existing mcse will get an ez 900+ on this exam with no study, if they review what you can do at the various forest and domain functionality levels in 2008 can do then its gonna be 1000 or just under

So is it more like the "Implementing and Supporting..." MCSE exams, or is it case studies like the "Designing..." MCSE exams? It's questions and not simulations?

i don't think i even had a choose 2 or 3 style question but i could be mistaken. Off memory every question was multi choice.

The old 2k to 2k3 exam had the highest failure rate of just about any microsoft exam, less then 18% passed off memory.

The new 2k3-2k8 I've yet to hear of a failure and i don't believe i know anyone thats been sub 950+ for both of them.

In my opinion getting the MCSE style equivalent is so easy these days its going to be pretty much a worthless investment. Bit of a downer really considering the price of the exams.

Sorry, I may not have been clear on this. Is it case studies or just regular questions?

They are single questions with the majority being a sort of mini case study/scenario, but they are mainly the same couple of questions re asked from different angles.

All my questions were choose a single multi choice answer, no other type of question was asked.

Cool. I'm a little leery of this exam due to the lack of study material, but I want to try to get it in next week before the Second Shot program expires. That way if I somehow don't pass I'll still have another free crack at it in June.

Well, I passed it on the first try. Got a 911 with no study. I have to agree that if you are an MCSE who actually understands the technology, then you should be able to get an easy pass.

The biggest area to hit was Active Directory, especially functional levels (domain and forest), trusts, and the features capabilities of the various types. I also had a fair amount on Terminal Services and NAP. Those were the three biggest areas that the exam hit for me.

There were also a half dozen or so questions about other Microsoft products, including various flavors of System Center, SoftGrid, Sharepoint, Hyper-V, etc. I wasn't expecting those at all, but fortunately I had enough experience/knowledge to get those questions.

I think that it's probably a good idea to think of this as an Enterprise exam rather than a Windows 2008 exam. If you go into it with that in mind then you should be OK.

WOW, so you are MCITP huh? That is great. To think we were both in this together, and now, you are way ahead of me on this. I have been toying with Exchange Server 2007, then i was going to take my upgrade exam and on to the MCITP. Did you take the vista yet? Also do you plan on specializing in any groupware, Sharepoint, System Center, Exchange Server 2007, etc. It seems that this is what is going to take the market. Groupware! Once i obtain this exchange 2007, i will be well on the way to upgrade my MCSE. I thought about enterprise administrator, but i was thinking Server administrator would be good enough for me. What do you suggest on this?

Do not pray to have an easier life, pray to be a stronger man!!!

B.S. Computer Information Systems
Masters of Information Technology in Network Security
CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+
MCSE: Security 2003

MCITP: Exchange Server 2007 (Pending)
MCITP: Server 2008 (Pending)
MCTS: Windows Vista (Pending)

Yes, I passed Vista as well (it's required for MCITP:Enterprise Administrator). I actually did Vista and the MCITP exam the same morning. I was planning on taking the Vista exam on May 30th and had studied for it. Then when I saw that the Second Shot required you to make your first attempt by the end of May I decided to do them both back to back even though I hadn't studied for the MCITP exam. I figured if I passed then I'd be done, and if I failed I'd get a free retake and would have had a chance to see what the exam is like. It turns out that I passed.

As far as what's next goes, I was originally pushing for VMWare Certified Professional (VCP), but my boss balked at the price of training. Then they said that they wanted me to specialize in System Center Configuration Manager and Operations Manager. I did some digging and saw that there's also supposed to be a Hyper-V MCTS and a System Center Virtual Machine Manager exam coming out this year, and that they're working on an MCITP:Operations Management certification that combines the three System Center exams. So my thinking was to go ahead an work on the System Center and Hyper-V exams, that way my boss gets someone with System Center certs and I still get to spend some time working on virtualization.

Of course, this past week I've been thinking about getting the MCITP:Server Admin cert as well. It seems like it focuses more on 2008 than the Enterprise Admin cert did, so it might be useful to have. I have a meeting with my boss to discuss all this on Thursday. Who knows, by the end of the year I may end up with three MCITP certs.

Wow, you are on a role. At least you are able to sit down with your boss. It sounds like a good track. I have to have to compete with my IT guys in Atlanta. I am a branch manager, but since they have been there longer and have no certs, i have to find ways to show my skill. I even thought of going cisco, becasue i just assited with the installation and configuration of 4 2811 routers into our company. No we have even began to think about server 2008, but i just knew that if i had it and they were ready i would be the first to call, or they could do an installation under my nose...well you know how jealousy may be..you young guy, lot of knowledge, puts there job at stake..anyway. I was thinking groupware as well. I will look into some of these track. I do know i need to have this exchange serve out the way before they think about implementing it, so i can have my hands wet. I have already been playing with both of them in a Virtual environment using VMWorksation, so this helps my working knowledge. We will see where i end up. Thank for the response.

Do not pray to have an easier life, pray to be a stronger man!!!

B.S. Computer Information Systems
Masters of Information Technology in Network Security
CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+
MCSE: Security 2003

MCITP: Exchange Server 2007 (Pending)
MCITP: Server 2008 (Pending)
MCTS: Windows Vista (Pending)

Hi all,
I find this site with practice test for MCITP program, they are free and displays score in point like 850/1000
hope to be useful!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back