Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eventlog errors for printer auto-creation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palagast

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
NL
When users log on to my Citrix farm (3 Metaframe XP / FR3 machines), there are several errors in the eventlog of that server:
Event ID: 1107
Source: MetaframeEvents
Category: Printer Management
User:N/A

Client printer auto-creation failed. The driver could not be installed. Possible reasons for the failure: The driver is not in the list of drivers on the server. The driver cannot be located. Driver mapping is incorrect. Client name: (XXXXX) Printer: (Client\XXXXX#\Printer X [UPD:pCL5c]) Client Printer driver: (HP Color LaserJet 4500) Server Printer driver: (HP Color LaserJet 4500)

This event happens for all printers installed on the server.
The user doesn't see a thing of this and can print normally.
Any clues or hints on how to solve this or where to look?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I get loads of them and just ignore them!

Cheers,
Carl.

It's just that I really don't like errors in my eventlogs.
Plus, it's so many of that that they spam the eventlog, possibly causing me to miss other errors.

Load the driver HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL5c onto the server. Open printers and faxes, right click, click server propperties, drivers add HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL5c. Go into ctx and do a auto replicate.

Zipperhead,

Thanks for your reply. However, the driver is already present in the driver list of the server. Besides, I think it's weird that when printing to (I forgot to mention) a Mita printer, I get an error message of a HP printer. The drivers I use for the printer are "Kyocera Mita VI 230/310 (PCL)" so that should be ok as well.
Any other suggestions?

Are you mapping the Mita printer to another driver? From CMC expand Printer Management and right-click Drivers, then hit Mapping. Check if the "Kyocera Mita VI" driver is pointing to an HP.
Also make sure all your spacing is exactly the same on the server and client drivers.

Hi

I got the same error on my XPs FR3/SP3 on W2k SP3 server. The problem started some weeks ago after running 1 year without problems.

The event is even logged when the client is using "generic / text only" drivers. Sometimes when a client connects event 1107 is logged and at other times the mapping is working ok from the same client device. (running XP).

I think the problem might be related to hotfix XE103W2K117, 118 or 119 because this is the only thing I have installed/changed in a long time. I have installed hotfix XE103W2K126 today and hope this will fix my errors. Hotfix 126 talks about fixing some priting mapping policies?

It seems as Citrix sometimes can´t see the correct mapping from the wtsprt.inf file and starts using the Universial driver instead.

Robert

Sorry to post in an old thread, but I get the exact same 1107 errors. Brand new 2003 box w/ Metaframe FR3, I print fine, but these errors pop up. Using an HP 1100 to test, I hate errors in my event log, but as long as my tests hold up, I'm going to ignore these. Just curious if anyone else has any insight as to what causes this? My recently built 2000 servers with FR3 do not have this problem, and I have never had to manually create printer mappings for an 1100.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hi all.

I *think* the problem relates to the fact that the client printer has a slightly different name for the printer driver than the server does. I've got boxes which do this, although the printer driver it says it can't autocreate is present on the server, the name the client has for it is slightly different, so its not 'identical' and Citrix doesn't find it.

The resolution is to check the Citrix printer files on the server (WTSUPRN.inf or WTSUPRN.txt) and there you should find a template with a list of printers, like this

; This is a template for wtsuprn.txt -- rename this file to WTSUPRN.inf
;
; This file provides a mapping for client printers which have a name
; different from the server printer. this file is necessary since many
; printers for Win9x and Win NT are different from their TSE equivalent.
;
; Note: the driver for the server printer must be installed. See the
; MetaFrame Concepts and Planning Guide.
;
; Remove semicolons from the printer you would like mapped.
;
;
[Identification]
OptionType = PRINTER
[ClientPrinters]
;
; Client Name Server Name
; | |
; | |
; \|/ \|/
;
; ==================== ====================
;
;"HP 1600C" = "HP DeskJet"
;"HP 2000C" = "HP DeskJet"
;"HP 2000C Printer" = "HP DeskJet"
;"HP 2500C Series PS3 Printer" = "HP 2500C Series Printer"
;"HP 550C Printer" = "HP DeskJet 550C"

Your errors relate to the left hand printer name not being 'mapped' to one that the server already knows about, the right hand printers.

So, find one of your printers that errors, make a precise note of the name (might be case sensitive) Note you need to know what the CLIENT calls the printer! Then, simply create an entry which maps this printer name to the name of the printer installed on Citrix

In the example above, the HP 2500c is the best example, its the same printer, just called slightly different names, and it is this which is the problem.

If you try this for one printer, and make sure it works, its then simply a case of going through one by one and making the changes, and then replicating the file to all the servers in the farm.

Have a read through as well, as this may give a bit of an overview.

hope this helps a little,

Chris

I am getting this error and the drivers are precisely and exactly the same on both client and serverside. The driver is also in the list on the server.

My printer doesnt autocreate so it isnt a benign issue.

I get it in all sorts of environments.

Windows 2003 TS with MetaFrame v3
Windows 2003 TS with MetaFrame XP FR3 (SP3 and SP4)
Windows 2000 TS with MetaFrame v3
Windows 2000 TS with MetaFrame XP FR3 (SP3 and SP4)
Windows 2003 TS wihtout MetaFrame

Windows 2000 with SP4 and Windows 2003 with and without SP1.

It seems to be more related to the client PC than the server side.

It doesnt appear to be the fault of any one driver.

We get it with Kernal mode printer drivers and user mode drivers alike.

It is more apparant with one driver because we hard code it into the software and the software fails if the driver is unavailable.

In one environment, one PC never fails. The other always does - however I have changed the PC twice already. We are hoping to image the working PC, but we cant get time with it (because it the only one that works!)

Regards
apritchard@gladstonemrm.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back