Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EventID:8003; Source:MRxSmb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosee

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2001
US
The following message appears on the Windows 2000 server Event Viewer screen several times a day. What is this? How to deal with it?

"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer SMITH that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{0C0D3951-E884-4773-8243. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced."

Thanks.

Hello,

this can be because you have cached dns or you may want to try this.
In order to stop this error from occuring, use Regedit and set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList from Auto or YES to FALSE

This will prevent the computer from attempting to become a Domain Master Browser and compete with Domain Controllers. If the server is a domain controller it is advisable to leave it with the default settings.

Thanks for help. The following change should be made on user PCs or the Server.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList from Auto or YES to FALSE"

The server is our main domain controller. My understanding from your message is to leave the defult settings on the server. How can I check that? I want to be sure that is what we are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back