Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EventID 12014 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron333

Technical User
Jun 8, 2011
US
This morning, I began receiving errors with EventID 12014 on my Exchange 2007 server. Based on the information in threads on TechNet, I was able to fix it as I had a valid certificate already on my server. However, I couldn't find any reason for the error suddenly popping up. The certificate doesn't expire until Feb 2012 and had been working like a charm until a couple hours ago. I'm curious if anyone knows the root cause or is this just something that can randomly occur? I've included the actual error. Thanks!

Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        MSExchangeTransport
Date:          7/18/2011 7:40:16 AM
Event ID:      12014
Task Category: TransportService
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      MAIL.FOO.NET
Description:
Microsoft Exchange couldn't find a certificate that contains the domain name MAIL.FOO.NET in the personal store on the local computer. Therefore, it is unable to support the STARTTLS SMTP verb for the connector Default MAIL with a FQDN parameter of MAIL.FOO.NET. If the connector's FQDN is not specified, the computer's FQDN is used. Verify the connector configuration and the installed certificates to make sure that there is a certificate with a domain name for that FQDN. If this certificate exists, run Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Services SMTP to make sure that the Microsoft Exchange Transport service has access to the certificate key.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">[/URL]
  <System>
    <Provider Name="MSExchangeTransport" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">12014</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>12</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-07-18T14:40:16.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>279271</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>MAIL.FOO.NET</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>MAIL.FOO.NET</Data>
    <Data>Default MAIL</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Hate to ask, but did you do this:
If this certificate exists, run Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Services SMTP to make sure that the Microsoft Exchange Transport service has access to the certificate key

As far as finding out "WHY" the association of the SMTP service would break is a large question. Many issues, mainly human error, would cause this. :) To really provide answer would require us to know your environment, your IT personnel, any changes that were made, any patches that were installed...so many variables...so little time.

You're all thinking into it too much. As I stated in my post, it was working prior to this error popping up. So, it's been obviously enabled for SMTP for quite some time. If any changes had been made, I would have listed them. I am the only IT person at my firm so I know no settings/patches/updates were applied. I was asking if anyone knows of a reason for this spontaneously happening. If you just don't know, that's fine.

That's my point. I thought I did ask the question correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back