Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event Viewer not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IH8Puters

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2003
US
Wierd problem, I open the event viewer and can see all the messages in app, security and systems logs but I can't open any of them. The first one I try you can see the window flash for a split second then disappear.

Rebooted, cleared the logs, rebooted some more (-; no go on opening the events. Saved them to a file and can't read them there either. anyone seen this or have a suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.

Have the same issue. Late one night (one of those 20+ hour "workdays"), a server that was being updated complained that the log file was full. The message stated specifically NOT to save the log files first but to clear them. Well I saved them first anyhow not even thinking about it until after I cleared the logs. Ever since then whenever you try to bring up the event properties the dialog flashes for a brief moment the first time and then nothing after that. The only thing I have found so far similar to this has to do with issues associated with Blaster. However, this happened before Blaster and the machine has never been infected with it.

I'll let you know if I find anything useful...

Nope. I spoke with IH8Puters and no luck there either. Currently I am using a test application I wrote a while back. The information is there. The logs are not corrupt. W2K won't display them though.

Turning off (disabling) the service, deleting the log files, and starting over had no effect.

I have a similar problem. However when i try to open the systems log, event viewer crashes. The other logs are fine.

I have found nothing about how to fix this issue. If you guys find anything out about your problem let me know, maybe it will fix my issue as well.

kb0ogt,
If you haven't already done so you might want to delete the system log since it sounds like it is corrupted. This requires more than just clearing the log contents. You need to disable the event logging service, boot the machine, delete the log file, re-enable the service, and boot again. Check out the following KB article:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back